Tuesday, July 12, 2022

A Forgotten Cane by Darryl

“Don’t wait until you’ve reached your goal to be proud of yourself. Be proud of every step you take toward reaching that goal.” - Simone Biles - Leader, Advocate, Champion

I find the quote applicable because I am in the process of moving. When I shouted out to the movers as they were leaving for the day that someone had left his cane, the lead mover shouted back at me over his shoulder, “We found it in your house.”

When I stopped and thought about it, why would a mover need a cane?

The cane was mine.

When I awoke 10 years ago from a week-long medically-induced coma after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke, I was initially wheelchair-bound. My right side was weak, but with superb inpatient physical therapy at NRH, I was able to walk with a four-point cane. The cane the movers found was a one-point cane, so I had made progress. Now, for many years, I have been able to walk without a cane - so it was in the back of my closet - and I had forgotten about it.

So, I set the cane in a special place, to remind me how far I had come, with God’s grace.

Read more about Simone Biles's many accomplishments and her Wheaties box here!

No comments:

Post a Comment